Eisteddfodau in the Irfon Valley
The Eisteddfod in Llanwrtyd, in its current form, began in 1951 when Madame Carlton-Jones restarted the even on the 13th October. She was born in Llanwrtyd but had spent some time as the conductor of the Pontarddulais Ladies Choir.
The first event took place in the Victoria Hall but moved to a marquee in following years until a severe thunderstorm disrupted everything. The eisteddfod has been held at the Victoria Hall since then, and from 1951-1957 the child’s eisteddfod was held in July and the adult’s in August. In 1978 the event was combined, and still is today.
The children’’s programme is held in the morning, the youth’s in the afternoon and the adult’s in the evening. The eisteddfod committee has been fortunate to always attract well-known adjudicators, and of course, many gifted individuals seeking placement to take them to the national competition.
This year’s eisteddfod was held on September 28th.
The Wells Choir based in Llanwrtyd came second in the choirs' category.
Simon Lilly from Cefn Gorwydd, Llangammarch, was runner up to the Chair.
Other Eisteddfodau: Click here